Step 2: Upgrade the network tester firmware
This article teaches you how to upgrade the firmware running on the network tester's host microcontroller.
Place the network tester in bootloader mode
- Connect the network tester to your computer via the micro USB port.
- Place the switch on the back of the network tester into the "boot" position (move the switch so that the switch handle matches the white stencil) and then power on the network tester.
The display on the network tester will turn on but will be blank. The network tester is now in bootloader mode.
Method 1: Update the network tester firmware using the python based network tester bootloader script
Note: network_tester_bootloader.py uses the xmodem and pyserial Python libraries, so please add these libraries to your Python installation first.
Run python script
From the command line, run:
python network_tester_bootloader.py ~/path/to/network_tester/firmware
View the script's '--help' output for more details on using the network tester bootloader script. Watch the output of the script for success. You may observe some xmodem send errors during the upload, but the operation should still complete successfully.
Method 2: Update the network tester firmware using Tera Term
The bootloader on the Network Tester utilizes a standard XMODEM protocol that can be interfaced with standard tools like Tera Term
Setup Serial Port
Start MCU bootloader
Exit bootloader mode
Once the network_tester_bootloader.py script has successfully finished or Tera Term has completed downloading the file
- Power off the network tester.
- Disconnect the network tester from your computer.
- Place the switch on the back of the network tester back into its original position (move the switch on the back of the network tester so that it does not match the stencil).
- Reboot the network tester.